Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Last Few Days and Chat


I think Chris Harris has summed it up very nicely for me. What these few weeks have made me realize is that,

" Web 2.0 is about connecting with users as much as it is about connecting
users with information. In other words, this is not about the technology,
but about what the technology can allow us to do to enrich our traditional
library services and re-connect with a new generation of users."
Harris, C. School library 2.0: Living the digital re-shift. Retrieved
September 12, 2007 from http://digitalreshift.org/?q=node/23

As well, Prensky's article: Prensky, M. (2005). Engage me or enrage me. Educause Review, 40(5), 60-64. stimulated a lot of dialogue about the role of the TL and where our education is going. My comments have been posted here for your convenience:

I also loved the article, because it jars educators into thinking about the reality of today. Of course, I don't see us preparing a song and dance for every lesson or unit, but students need to be invested in their learning. They need to feel that what they are doing is helping them learn better and smarter. Unfortunately, there are many in our profession that just want to continue what they have being doing for ages. At the elementary level, maybe it is easier, since my students will often say "yeah" and get very excited about activities. The key though is active and differentiated learning. Although, I am like Michelle and Giesu, I still did use technology in all my units. Interactive games and sites were part of the curriculum every week and then they could access them from home at anytime from the Virtual Classroom site. It took me hours to find great sites that taught such valuable concepts. They actually became black slaves following the route of the Underground Railroad for part of their unit on immigration, they then had to write a journal from a slave's point of view (There were other activities). Now I could add the blog component. They saw the concept of forces, materials, loads and shapes that engineers must consider when building structures in an interactive lab from PBS for their unit on architecture. These sites did it much better than I could have devised. I am not saying that everything must be electronically generated, but it does add some of the wow factor at the right time and moment. This course has taught me new tools. I hope next year I will be 1/4 as good a TL as many of you are. I am impressed with the expertise of many of you. Kudos to all of you.

and

Interesting question about who does the TL serve? Since next year will be my first, it has been very informative reading all the posts. As teachers, I think it is natural to serve the students. We are always trying to do our best and give our best to each and everyone, differentiating their learning to adapt to their learning styles. But after having taken this course, my eyes are open- wide open to the possibilities of Web 2.0 tools. Last year in my role as a classroom teacher, no one ever taught me or informed me of the endless possibilities. As the article states, “Schools of the future will be transformed in every dimension from scheduling to global learning networks.” We are beginning to see some indication of this- slow yes, but inevitable. Therefore, my # 1 role next year will to introduce a lot more technology to my school that has ever taken place before. Face it; the kids will need less help than the teachers. Fortunately, I do have the ear of the principal. I have led our Pro-D on a number of occasions, so now I will incorporate Web 2.0 tools, slowly but surely. Introduce blogs and wikis, like many of you have mentioned, but even just basic tools, ie Google Docs and del.icio.us. I am upset that no one ever took the time to inform me. I feel my students will also benefit from my learning, since their own learning will have even more avenues to express their “uniqueness, creativity and individualism.” I would like to extend those avenues for all teachers.
Last edited on: July 14, 2008 5:58 PM





No comments: